Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Rationalizing with academia

Well then... another class with a blog component. It's my last semester of "Information School" and it will be all done but the crying in 6 weeks. I ordered my graduation dress from Anthropologie in January just to get stoked about it.

To get me a little bit closer to the end, I have to evaluate a Service System (as Jim Spohrer et al. sees it) and their use of social networking tools. It is taken from the article The Service System is the Basic Abstraction of Service Science presented at the 41st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences - 2008.

Tasha got me hooked on a site called Ravelry.com in the fall. It's an online community for knitters, crocheters, designers, spinners and dyers. It is the best Web 2.0 site I've ever seen and I am determined to work it into my assignment. I spend a lot of time on Ravelry, a bit unusual for me, so I figure there must be an academic reason that I am compelled to procrastinate in this way. What we have here is a pair of socks for Stephanie who was the other FIS intern in South Africa this summer. They are propped up against my "study sweater", found in a used clothing shop in London for 7 £.

I sent an email to the developers of the site to see if they ever had an commercial aspirations in mind for Ravelry. It is primarily social networking but I need to define who the customer or beneficiary of the service would be. I'll get Kelly's opinion as well. To think... I may be able to actually have a perfectly good rationale for all of the slacking I had planned for this weekend.

No comments: